Oven Baked Macaroni and Feta Cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- Butter for greasing
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp dried Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
Topping Ingredients (Optional):
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups breadcrumbs or panko crumbs
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Cook macaroni in salted water according to package directions. Drain.
- In the meantime, generously butter a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Pour cooked macaroni into baking dish and toss with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Mix in crumbled feta cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, chili powder, and paprika.
- Pour the egg mixture over the macaroni; mixture should come about 3/4 of the way up – it shouldn’t cover the macaroni.
- Heat remaining butter in a frying pan.
- Add the bread crumbs to the pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle the bread crumbs over the macaroni.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the custard sets and edges are browned.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and parsley; serve.